Skip Navigation
Body fade
Latest news

Four convicted for car crime in Southend

Four convicted for car crime in Southend
Four men have been convicted following vehicle interference investigations in Southend.
Chris Davis, 41, of no fixed address, appeared at Southend Magistrates’ Court on Thursday 4 July where he admitted going equipped to steal, vehicle interference and handling stolen goods.
He was ordered to complete an 18 month community order, 60 days rehabilitation activity requirement and 19 building skills for recovery sessions.
Davis was also fined £80 and ordered to pay £85 in costs and £90 victim surcharge.
He was caught on CCTV attempting to access a car at around 4.50am on Wednesday 26 June, before being identified and arrested on Tuesday 2 July while in possession of bolt croppers and a stolen bank card.

Nikki Uden caught Davis on her CCTV interfering with her car.
She said: “It was shock to see that my CCTV had captured the moments that I became a victim of crime.

“I reported the incident to Essex Police immediately and it took a few days for the investigation to begin, but once it had, I was both surprised and impressed, not only with how quickly the suspect was identified and arrested, but also with the personal communication and updates that I received from the police at each stage of the process.

“I was told that footage I’d supplied had been crucial, not only in the identification of the culprit, but also in providing solid evidence of his crime which helped the police to successfully prosecute.”

Davis’ sentence follows the convictions Craig Rafiei, 35, David Knight, 36, and Lee Welling, 43, all of no fixed address, at Southend Magistrates’ Court on Wednesday 3 July.

Rafiei and Knight were caught on CCTV testing door handles at The Royals Shopping Centre at 1.55am on Tuesday July 2, before quickly being arrested.

Knight received three week consecutive prison sentences for theft and vehicle interference and a three week concurrent sentence for theft from a motor vehicle. Rafiei received three weeks for vehicle interference and was ordered to pay compensation.

Welling was fined and given three month conditional discharges for threatening behaviour and vehicle interference.

He was arrested four minutes after a woman reported that he had attempted to access her car in Hastings Road at around 11.55pm on Monday 1 July.

This website uses cookies. By using this website, you are accepting our cookies policy and consenting to cookies being used.

Share with: