Skip Navigation
Body fade

Dissatisfaction and General Concerns 

If you are not satisfied with the service you have received from us or you wish to raise a general concern please tell us. Registering your dissatisfaction helps us to see where and why we have failed to meet the high standards of service you expect from us. It allows us to learn from our failings and improve the service we provide to the community.

Make an enquiry or voice your dissatisfaction.

What happens next?

Our Quality of Service Team will contact you within 48 working hours to help resolve the dissatisfaction or general concern that you have raised with us. 

If your dissatisfaction is about the way Essex Police has responded to your call for help or enquiry, it will be resolved locally by the officers and staff in your area with oversight from the Quality of Service Team.  

The Quality of Service Team hours of working are Monday to Friday between 8am and 5pm.  


If you are unhappy with the conduct of a police officer or member of police staff, you can make a complaint.

You can make a complaint about;

  • The inappropriate conduct of a police officer or member of police staff – for example, you believe that an officer has behaved incorrectly or unfairly.

You can make a complaint about the conduct of an officer or police staff if:

  • You have been the victim of misconduct by any member of Essex Police
  • You have witnessed or been affected by misconduct
  • You are a friend, relative or representative of the victim of the misconduct.

You can make a complaint in the following ways:

Professional Standards Department
Essex Police Headquarters,
Springfield Road,
CM2 6DA. 

If you chose to make a complaint, you need to provide us with as much information as possible, including:

  • Your name, address and contact details 
  • What happened and when 
  • Who was involved 
  • What was said or done 
  • Details of any witnesses 
  • Whether any damage or injury took place.

What happens next?

Once you have made your complaint, it will be assessed and acknowledged. To help us fully resolve the matter, we will then discuss with you how your concerns will be handled, provide you with an opportunity to talk in person to someone about it, and agree with you what will be done and how quickly.

If your complaint is about the conduct of a police officer or member of police staff, then it will be managed by the Professional Standards Department and dealt with in one of three ways:

  1. Details of your concern may be sent to the policing area or department it relates to where the issue will be dealt with either on the telephone or in writing if possible.
  2. If that’s not possible a member of staff may meet with you to complete a complaint form and draw up a 'local resolution' which is an action plan aimed at resolving your complaint within 28 days. If you are still unhappy following the outcome you have the right to appeal to the IPCC.
  3. If a local resolution is not appropriate or you do not agree to the process, your concern may be investigated by an appointed officer or member of staff in the relevant area or department. If your complaint is so serious that it cannot be dealt with in either of the ways outline above, it will be investigated by the Professional Standards Department.

We aim to investigate within 120 days and will send you a report detailing the outcome including, if appropriate, details of disciplinary action to be taken against staff.

Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC)

The complaints process is a matter of legislation. This states that Essex Police must consider complaints in the first instance.

You can also register a complaint with the Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC), a statutory body who may manage an investigation or, in some cases, conduct the enquiry itself on an Independent basis. They also monitor the complaints system and provide statistical data about the complaints process. Please note that the IPCC will only investigate a complaint of the most serious nature, such as incidents’ involving a death or serious injury. As such the IPCC will forward the complaint directly to the force.

In addition to the above the IPCC perform the role of an appeal body. However this role only applies to serious cases which may have been referred to them by the force or those recorded complaints which pre-date 22 November 2012.

Make a complaint using our online complaints form.

Complaints against the Chief Constable

The Chief Constable of Essex Police is accountable to the Police and Crime Commissioner for Essex for the delivery of efficient and effective policing, management of resources and expenditure.

If you have a complaint about the Chief Constable you should first of all make the complaint to the PCC.

More information about how to make a complaint against the Chief Constable is available from the PCC website.

This website uses cookies. By using this website, you are accepting our cookies policy and consenting to cookies being used.

Share with: