Skip Navigation
Body fade

Application Forms

It is an offence to own most firearms, shot guns or explosives without a certificate but you can apply for one here if you live within the area covered by Essex Police.

Your application will be dealt with by our Firearms, Shot Guns and Explosives Licensing Section.

There are four stages:

  • Decide which certificate you need using the descriptions below
  • Complete the relevant form and return it to us (Please ensure enough postage has been paid otherwise this will a cause a significant delay and we will recoup any expenditure loss)
  • We will make local and national checks using Home Office guidelines
  • A firearms enquiry officer will visit you
There are 2 ways to complete the forms. You can:
  • Print and complete by hand
  • Request a form to be posted to you
For details about how much your application will cost please view the main Firearms Application page.

Which form do I need?

Firearms and Shotguns

Form 201
Use this form to apply for a firearm or shotgun certificate or renew / make changes to an existing one. Guidance notes for the application and variation process are included. Please note: Essex Police only require one passport photograph to be submitted with your application.
Download form 201

Form 201V
Use this form to make any variation to an existing certificate. Please note: Essex Police require the original (not a copy) firearms certificate to be submitted with the application.
Download form 201V

Form 123
Use this form to notify us when you transfer or dispose of a firearm or shot gun
Download form 123

11(6) Clay Exemption

Section 11(6) of the 1968 Act allows an individual, without holding a shotgun certificate, to use a shotgun at a time and place approved for shooting at artificial targets (i.e. a temporary clay pigeon shoot) by the chief officer of police for the area in which that place is situated.

Please download, fill in and send back this application form together with a copy of your insurance cover.

We would refer you to The CPSA Safety Guide and the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health document regarding noise pollution (shown below) which we would recommend you download, read and retain.

Download 11(6) application form
Download CIEH The Chartered Institute of Environmental Health - Clay Shooting Noise Levels
Download The CPSA Safety Guide


Form ER 2
Use this form to apply for a licence to store explosives at a site or address.
Download form ER 2

Form ER 4
Use this form to apply for an explosives certificate for any certified explosive not including black powder.
Download form ER 4

Form ER 4a
Use this form to apply for an explosive certificate for use in firearms or shotguns or for blackpower in connection with re-enactment.
Download form ER 4a

Form ER 4b
Use this form to renew an existing explosive certificate for black powder to be used in firearms.
Download form ER 4b

Visiting the UK to shoot

Under section 17 of the 1988 Act, a visitor to Great Britain may, if granted a visitors permit, possess firearms, shot guns and ammunition without holding a certificate.

A visitors permit allows an overseas resident to travel into the United Kingdom to attend various shooting events. The visitor will need a sponsor who is resident in the United Kingdom. This person does not need to be a certificate holder.
Download form 107

Find out more at The British Association for Shooting and Conservation website.

European Firearms Pass

Please download, fill in and send back this questionnaire with the details of the shotguns and firearms currently listed on your certificate which you  intend to take to an European Community state.

EFP Questionnaire form (PDF)

Was this page helpful?

This website uses cookies. By using this website, you are accepting our cookies policy and consenting to cookies being used.

Share with: